Color Harmony™ Spring Bird DIY
Swoop into spring with this cheerful paper bird craft! This is a fun DIY idea for kids and adults to make together for Easter celebrations and to welcome spring. Use your colorful spring bird to decorate shelves and tabletops at home, school, or in care facilities.
- Color Harmony™ Ocean Terrific Trimmers® T92686
- Googly eyes, a craft feather, and a chenille stem
- Double-stick tape, glue, scissors, ruler, and a pencil
- Template (included)
We created a bluebird, but this template and directions lend themselves to lots of colorful birds. Create a whole flock!
- Using the template provided in the download tab to the right, trace the head, body, and wings onto the back of your trimmer strip. Cut out the pieces.
- Roll the strip for the body into a loop and glue or tape the end as indicated on template. Note you'll leave the excess of the body strip sticking out for the tail.
- Roll the head and tape or glue as noted on the template, leaving the pointed end sticking out for the bird’s beak.
- Set the body on the table with the tail resting on the surface. Use this to gauge where the feet and head will attach.
- To make the legs, use a pencil to poke two holes in the bottom of the body. Thread a chenille stem up through one leg hole and down through the other. Adjust to even the stem out between the two sides.
- To make individual bird toes, bend each leg into 4 equal segments and shape so there are two toes on each side, as pictured. Tape the chenille stem down on the inside of the body to hold the placement.
- Tape or glue the head on top of the body.
- Time to fly! Glue or tape the left and right wings to the body.
- Give your bird a fun, feathery plume on top of its head. Use a pencil to poke a hole in the top of the bird’s head to string a colorful feather through or simply glue the feather on top of the bird's head.
- To finish your bird, glue googly eyes on its face. Hello!
Bring feathery fun anywhere you place your bird. Decorate shelves for spring, mark a bin for "early bird finisher activities," and introduce science topics like weather and migration.
©TREND enterprises, Inc. 148
Download template here!