Little Explorers Binoculars Learning FUN Activity
Learning FUN Activity
Encourage children to explore nature with binoculars they make themselves!
- Owl-Stars!® Bolder Borders® T85125
- Purple Terrific Trimmers® T91255
- Two empty toilet paper tubes, yarn, scissors, yellow paper, a stapler, ruler, pencils, double-sided tape, glue, and a hole punch
- Children bring two toilet paper tubes from home.
- They measure and mark, then cut four 7" pieces of Purple Terrific Trimmers® and two 7" pieces of Owl-Stars!® Bolder Borders® for their binoculars.
- Demonstrate how to wrap and secure a purple strip around each tube end. Cover the center area with the Owl-Stars!® Bolder Borders® and secure.
- Invite kids to prepare their own tubes.
- Make binoculars unique by adding other strips of paper, such as the yellow shown in the example. Encourage kids to decorate with stickers or other items.
- Help children place the two tubes side by side, and staple or glue them together at the top and bottom.
- Punch a hole on either side of the binoculars about 1" from the top. String a precut 20" piece of thick yarn through holes, knotting each end.
- As a class, take a closer look at the outdoors. Count birds. Name the different types of trees. Talk about your discoveries.
BONUS: Add pizzazz to the binoculars with leftover trimmers, borders, colored paper, or stickers. Have parents send items from home for added variety.
©TREND enterprises, Inc. 1024 B19
Download template here!